Thursday, May 19, 2005

Cipollini's of Manhasset and Nemo's of South Beach

About 28 years ago I was talked into writing restaurant reviews for a college newspaper. I enjoy writing ( see our other 2 blogs http://www.thatlawyerdude.blogspot.com and http://www.colleluorilaw.blogspot.com) and when friends heard I had done reviews in my early life they encouraged me to do it again. I thought about it and realized that I was doing reviews my whole life. I cannot resist telling people about the cool places I have had the chance to go to. And I especially like to hear friends who took my advice had a good time doing what I suggested. This blog is really meant for my friends and family who want my experience when picking just the right place to take a: Date; Boss; Spouse; Parent; Out of town friend/ relative; etc. etc. etc.
However I remember thinking how much I hated a) deadlines and b) doing negative reviews. After all for the most part people who put on plays or run restaurants work very hard and well bad reviews can kill their businesses. Yes I know that reviewers just want to help these owners to improve their businesses and that they also want to stop others from wasting their hard earned money, but I have a different calling in life and so this is just a hobby for me and I would rather not criticize with negative reviews. Hence if I liked a place chances are sooner or later you will see it here.

Ok so here goes first I am going to link you to a review I posted on a sister site recently and STRONGLY URGE you to go to this place while you can still get a seat. http://colleluorilaw.blogspot.com/2005/05/little-off-topic-great-new-italian.html. I really had a good time there last Saturday with my family. Now some five days later I think back on that Polenta and realize just how good this place Cipollini's really is.

Now earlier I flew into Miami and settled into the world famous Fountainebleau Towers in South Miami Beach. I will probably review the Fountainebleau in my next report but let's just say that the view of the beach and Atlantic Ocean from my private bacolny is ... Sublime.
Anyway I became hungry and wanted to go to dinner at a place that specialized in fish. I was headed to another restaurant when while passing Nemo's on Collins between First and Second, My cab driver told me that it too was a really good place to stop. I decided that I wanted to go there tonight. I mean I am a sucker for a restaurant where the patrons seem to be having a good time.

The restaurant was making good use of the beautiful if windy weather South Florida is experiencing and so most patrons where sitting outside of the main building in what is a very inviting street side patio. Being from NY and having had a pretty cold and snowy winter and rainy spring, I couldn't wait to eat outside. I was promptly seated and had my choice of people watching views. Peoplewatching is a big hobby in South Beach. I think it is fun, especially if you smile at the people as they are walking or give 'em a little wave. They think they know you. One has even sent over drinks! Anyway I digress... Oh yeah, I was seated and my waiter took my drink order. As it was over Ninety degrees (90*) Fahrenheit in my cab ( and at least 75 outside) I wanted a beer. They did not have my favorites Amstel light or Bass Ale. They instead suggested a Belgian Beer a Chimay ( see this sight for a fun pronunciation guide http://www.belgianstyle.com/mmguide/pronounce/speak.html.) It looked like a Stout beer; very dark with a slightly chocolate cream looking foam head. I was not really happy at the sight of it, because Bass is tan, an Ale and not a Stout. Stouts tend to be bitter. However after I tasted the Chimay I realized that this was a very fine ale. It was a little creamy but was filling and really quenched my thirst. I followed this up with a portion of grilled South Florida Octopus. It was well grilled and chopped up with roasted tomatoes and lima beans over a puree of Spinach. Great dish. The Octopus was not a bit chewy, nor was it over cooked. The tomatoes gave the spinach puree a sweet taste which brought out the flavor of the grill used on the Octopus. The wait staff also provided a verynice chick pea hummus mixed liberally with olive oil and paprika. The Italian bread served with that was really good. I would be surprised if it were not made in a brick oven.
The main course was a grilled Florida Grouper served over a bed of Lettuce mixed with hearts of Palm and a shelled Crab leg under an Italian seasoned oil and vinegar dressing. The dish is served with a chimera sauce. That helped because the grouper while mostly tender and well moistened was dry around the corners and ends. This was served with Garlic mashed potato and any other ala Carte item you may want (the salad was part of the cost of the Grouper.) The portion size was about seven (7) ounces and it was filling.

I like the no rush attitude of staff. It is a laid back place but plenty of help is available if you ask for it. I wanted to save room for desert but instead had a cup of very bold expresso mixed with Sambuca. After about Forty minutes I was ready for the Chocolate Napolean served with brulee'd bananas and praline Ice Cream which was homemade. The desert was decadent. It is probably illegal to serve in most states it was that good. The Napolean was layered thin pieces of chocolate with what tasted like a very silky smooth chocolate mousse. The bananas mixed nicely with alcohol used in their preparation. The alcohol brought out the flavor of the banana. It enhanced the tangy presentation which was quenched by the various tastes of the chocolates in the Napoleon. A desert wine or sherry was recommended but I couldn't finish the Napolean and another drink would have been gluttonous.

Any way, I was way impressed and hope I get to go back to Nemo's in the near future. If you have a favorite restaurant or a favorite (positive) review of something you can send it to me at catlaw1@yahoo.com and if we like it we will use it. You can also reach me at my website www.colleluorilaw.com. We also would like to encourage you to read our sister blogs listed above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home